Since 1897

Our History

The story of Richard Newhouse and the Chapter established in his name.

Our namesake

Richard Newhouse

Richard Newhouse was one of the most experienced and influential Cheshire Freemasons of the Victorian and Edwardian periods. Initiated in 1853 at the Lodge of Charity—then No. 439 and later No. 350—he became its Worshipful Master approximately seven years later. The United Grand Lodge of England membership registers now provide direct documentary confirmation of this early career.

In 1864 he helped found Stamford Lodge No. 1045 and served as its Secretary from 1865. When he completed twenty-one years in that office, the Lodge presented him with a portrait in oils in recognition of his service.

Newhouse’s contribution extended across Craft, Mark and Royal Arch Masonry. He helped establish the Provincial Grand Lodge of Mark Master Masons of Cheshire and North Wales in 1873 and became its first Provincial Grand Secretary. In 1887 he was appointed Provincial Grand Secretary for the Craft Province of Cheshire.

Colour portrait of Richard Newhouse in Masonic regalia
Richard Newhouse Chapter centenary medal

Fifty years of service

A respected Provincial Secretary

By 1903 Newhouse had completed fifty years in Freemasonry. At the annual meeting of the Provincial Grand Lodge of Cheshire, he received an illuminated address and a substantial presentation in recognition of his long and valued service.

Contemporary accounts record his belief that he was then the oldest-serving Provincial Grand Secretary in England. His record explains why a new Royal Arch Chapter was named for him during his lifetime.

A legacy across the Province

Newhouse was not simply a ceremonial figure. For decades he helped administer and develop Freemasonry across Cheshire while continuing his service to individual Lodges and Chapters.

Evidence from the registers

The documentary link

Digitised United Grand Lodge of England membership registers provide a direct link between the principal stages of Richard Newhouse’s Craft career. The Lodge of Charity register records Richard Newhouse in its membership list against 1853. The Lodge is identified in the register as No. 350 at Kearsley, Lancashire.

The founding register for Stamford Lodge No. 1045 records Newhouse among the petitioners whose warrant was granted on 28 December 1864. Crucially, the entry beside his name reads “from 350”. This confirms that the Richard Newhouse initiated in 1853, the founder of Stamford Lodge in 1864 and the senior Cheshire Freemason later honoured by Chapter No. 2433 were the same Masonic individual.

The surviving pages reproduced here are continuation and founding registers. They establish the Masonic chain but leave the age, residence and profession columns blank for Newhouse. Research continues into the earlier personal entry needed to connect this Masonic record conclusively with the Richard Newhouse found in civil and family-history records.

What is now proven

The 1853 Lodge of Charity member and the 1864 Stamford Lodge founder are conclusively the same Freemason. Research into Richard Newhouse’s early life and family history is continuing.

24 April 1897

The Chapter is consecrated

Richard Newhouse Chapter No. 2433 was consecrated at the Masonic Rooms, Hamilton Street, Birkenhead, by E.Comp. The Hon. Alan de Tatton Egerton, M.P., Grand Superintendent of Cheshire, assisted by senior Provincial officers.

A contemporary report recorded more than thirty founders. Richard Newhouse was installed as the first First Principal, with W. F. Robinson and A. H. Baird as the Second and Third Principals. Numerous candidates were proposed for exaltation and joining immediately after the new Chapter was formed.

1897 — Foundation

The Charter was dated 3 February and the Chapter was consecrated on 24 April at Hamilton Street, Birkenhead.

1901 — New Brighton

At a special meeting on 24 May, the Chapter resolved to move to the Hotel Victoria, New Brighton.

1922 — Replacement Charter

After the original Charter was lost, a Charter of Constitution was granted on 2 August, recording meetings at the Masonic Hall, Manor Road, Wallasey.

1997 — The Centenary

The Chapter celebrated one hundred years since its consecration and continues to honour that heritage today.

From the records

Moments from Chapter life

On 26 September 1930, three candidates were exalted on the same evening. In 1931, the certificate of Comp. D.C.H. Burch, who had moved to Canada, was sent to St. Lambert Chapter No. 21 in Quebec; the reply reported that he commanded a new Canadian Steamship Line vessel.

Following the outbreak of war, Grand Lodge and Supreme Grand Chapter suspended Masonic meetings on 4 September 1939. Meetings were permitted to resume later that month.

Historical sources

Further reading

This account draws upon contemporary reports and published histories preserved by the Museum of Freemasonry and other recognised Masonic archives.

The Freemason: consecration report, 8 May 1897 →

The Masonic Illustrated: presentation to Richard Newhouse, 1903 →

Cheshire: Its Traditions and History →

Brotherly loveReliefTruth

© Richard Newhouse Chapter No. 2433